Re: Removing Paint from Leather

I agree with Jack that mechanical means may be preferable.  There is
a danger of scraping off the grain layer of the leather though.
Recently, I have been using solvents in methyl cellulose as a
poultice.- just mix up the solvent with the dry cellulose powder (Any
grade will work).  This slows the penetration and cappillary action of
a solvent.  It might not stick if the door isn't taken off and laid
vertically.  Another variation is to mix up solvent in Klucel G-
Klucel G is another type of Cellulose Ether that is soluble in a wide
variety of solvents.  This way it can be made up into a thick, viscous
gel, and applied locally. It tends to be clearer than a Methyl Cell
poultice, so you can easily see what's going on.  I have used this
method to remove tape from suede account books and other leather
surfaces.

        Safety First!  wear solvent resistant gloves and a respirator - make
sure the respirator has been properly fitted to you face- NO LEAKS!
As always TEST FIRST in an inconspicuous area-checking for solubiltity
of the paint, leather or dye.  Apply, watch it! When the paint has
softened, remove with a cotton ball or swab, very gently- you might
roll the ball over the surface, repeating over and over, rather than
vigorously rubbing it off. Reapply if necessary.  If the area has
lightened, or paint remains stuck in the grain layer, you might try
toning it with dye or acrylic paint to match.  If the grain layer has
been removed you might use a dyed Japanese paper, toned to match and
further dressing with SC6000 wax , or a combination of rennaissance
wax and SC6000- recently a co-worker has been mixing tube water color
in the wax for final toning- which has proven very effective.

Best of Luck,

Jake Benson