Apprenticeship

Richard and y'all:

Most of my "apprentices" stay an average of 4 to 6 months. I use the term
"apprenticeship" in a literal sense (as opposed to the "legal" term), as the
people who come here learn book arts, plus how to run a small private press
under my direction. I teach them MY way of doing things. That's all I know.

The "exchange" is the use of my studios and equipment and advice in
producing their own body of work while here. In this way, they come out with
something of their own and, hopefully, an idea of which particular direction
they want to take their talents.

I often get people who've come right from a lot of study about book arts and
aren't quite ready to jump off into the void on their own, and, indeed,
don't know how to run a small business. "Apprentices" here get into the
promotion and distribution of books as well as the designing and planning of
editions. I've become a sort of "finishing school" to ready students for the
real world.

You can call it anything you want, Richard, but I still have the position
open for January, February, March, April and May.

Cordially,

Pat