Void filling material

I do a lot of cosmetic restoration on cloth bound and paper over boards
bound childrens books. Perhaps the most common repair I do involves
bumped and frayed board corners. Normally I stabilize the corner board
material by injecting with a hypodermic needle a 50/50 mixture of PVA
and a wetting agent. I then clamp the corner until dry.
My problem is that I'm sometimes left with small voids usually as a
result of missing cover material. I've tried a number of filler
materials, but I'd like some suggestions. The proterties I'm looking for
are: workability in its plastic form, minimal shrinkage when dry, some
flexibility when dry, paintble, nontoxic.
--
Josh Page
email: Pagebook@eritter.net