RBS Winter Session

   I'm happy to report that the January week of the new Rare Book School
(RBS) winter session (5-9 January) is now well-enrolled, with ten or eleven
students both in Nicholas Pickwoad's course (European Bookbinding,
1500-1800) and in my illustration processes course.

In the March week of the winter session (9-13 March), the illustration
course is doing well, with ten students (the maximum is 12), but there are
still six places available in Sue Allen's course, Publishers' Bookbindings,
1830-1910--a circumstance that puzzles me, since Mrs Allen's celebrated
course has always sold out in RBS's summer session, and indeed in recent
years several times over, so much so that most applicants don't get into
the course until their second or third try. Moreover, the waiting list for
this course (as with the Pickwoad and illustration courses) has increased
over each of the past two or three years (hence its presence in the Winter
session). A word to wise persons who have this course on their RBS agendas.

To get the juices running, here is the RBS brochure description of Mrs
Allen's course:

Publishers' Bookbindings, 1830-1910. The study of publishers' bookbindings,
chiefly in the US, but with frequent reference to England, and occasional
reference to Continental developments. Topics: the rise of the edition
binder; design styles and how they developed; new techniques, machines, and
materials introduced in the c19; the identification of rarities; the
physical description of bindings; the preservation of publishers' bindings.
The course will make extensive use of the Book Arts Press's notable
collection of c19 and early c20 binding exemplars.

For an application form and a copy of the Expanded Course Description
(ECD), providing further details about the course, write Rare Book School,
114 Alderman Library, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
22903-2498; or fax 804/924- 8824; or email biblio@virginia.edu; or
telephone 804/924-8851. Electronic copies of the Expanded Course
Description and various other RBS documents are available at our URL:

         <http://poe.acc.Virginia.EDU/~oldbooks/rbs98/>

Incidentally, it's my assumption that this RBS winter session is the first
annual same; and I would be glad to have comments about other RBS summer
session courses that prospective students would be especially glad to see
offered in January or March.

Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Book Arts Press : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Tel: 804/924-8851   FAX: 804/924-8824  email: belanger@virginia.edu