its Contents torn out
and Stript of its Lettering & Gilding
Lies here, Food for Worms.
But the Work shall not be lost,
for it will as he believ’d
appear once more
in a new and more elegant Edition
Corrected and Improved
by the Author.                 (how many times has this been quoted)
                               (on this List?                      )

When I worked in downtown Phila a few years ago, I went by this gravesite
every morning, the brick wall around Christ Church cemetery is interrupted by
an iron fence, the grave a horizontal slab.

I tossed in a piece of type onto that slab every morning, that summer. I am
sure I am not original in paying such an homage. The Park Service kept the
place spotless, and I am sure they have collected a huge pot of metal from the
decades of printers' visits.

Cyan >(: