Re: re item

At 09:13 PM 1/5/98 -0800, you wrote:
>>I can't really answer this, but had to say it was the first time I had ever
>>heard the term "the Letterpress Era”
>that is because long ago it was simply called “Printing” or “Druck”
>or some other word that implies pressure.

wasn't so much the "letterpress" which surprised me as the "era" -- a
period isn't usually defined by so specific a technology. Personally, I
like to think that our current "information age" began with the spread of
printing via movable type, allowing for much more widespread (although
still limited) reading, translations of the bible into vernacular which
spread widely, and development of improved education for more people than
could experience it earlier. The computer age is only a recent development
of this now-centuries-old "age of information."

charles