Re: phone company fees

At 02:10 PM 1/8/98 -0600, you wrote:
>We've done some investigating and believe this crisis to be
>past.  Apparently, the FCC tabled this idea some time ago.

That's the information I've gotten also. Here's some of the text I just
read from another List I'm on:

>>Copied from:
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Factsheets/ispfact.html

THE FCC, INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS, AND ACCESS CHARGES

This fact sheet offers informal guidance on an issue that has generated a
great deal of public interest. For more specific details about the
proceedings currently before the Commission, please visit our web site
(http://www.fcc.gov/).

In December 1996, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requested
public comment on issues relating to the charges that Internet Service
Providers (ISPs) and similar companies pay to local telephone companies. On
May 7, 1997, the FCC decided to leave the existing rate
structure in place. In other words, the FCC decided not to allow local
telephone companies to impose per-minute access charged on ISPs.

Please Note: There is no open comment period in this proceeding. If you
have recently seen a message on the Internet stating that in response to a
request from local telephone companies, the FCC is requesting comments to
<isp@fcc.gov> by February 1998, be aware that this
information is inaccurate. <<