Amazon.com

I was overwhelmed by the number of people who provided their $.02 about
the availability or lack of availability of Amazon.com.  I'm writing out
of concern about the apparent lack of concern for the health of the
small, local book dealer.  As the world turns inexorably toward
electronic commerce we need to think about what will happen to the craft
that many on this list practice.  Small dealers attend to small presses
and small press runs.  However, they do not survive solely on the sale of
these items.  They have to sell mass market books as well and I urge you
to consider whether the loss of outlets for the books that many on this
list produce is worth the dollars saved by ordering by mail.

Some of you might be thinking that electronic ordering saves you the
trouble of a trip to your local book emporium.  Yeah, that's true.  But,
how many of you go there to browse, list interesting books and then order
them by mail.  It's nice to be able to delay gratification, but OTOH, you
get a discount that is probably more than the shipping and (I assume)
generally avoid sales taxes.

If, at this point you disagree with me, will not mend your ways, and
insist on traversing piranha and anaconda filled waters, let me end with
one final thought:  Please consider buying books that Amazon.com does NOT
discount locally, from a store owned by a local, book lover.

R* (an electronic browser but not a buyer)

Would you rather be married by a person who knows and cares for you and
your partner or as part of a group of thousands in a stadium by a person
who has no idea who you are?