Re: Amazon.com

Well, OK, and generally I really agree and try to support local bookstores.
But, I've come to discover, a lot of people out there have no "small, local
book dealer," or none that are the least bit convenient. In Phoenix,
Arizona, for example, there are no surviving independently-owned general
bookstores in the downtown area (or close -- unless something new has
opened recently). In Tucson, where I live, it's almost as bad. There are
some very good specialty bookshops, but as far as general bookshops which
aren't Barnes & Noble or Borders, there is about one surviving, and that
one doesn't like ordering from sources it usually doesn't order from, which
makes it impossible for most of the small press books I want. And I've
generally found Barnes & Noble more difficult to deal with than Amazon, and
certainly more inflexible about discounts.

So, I'll go to far ends to support local bookstores which treat me as well
or better than amazon -- but I've found relatively few of those. But for
those I have found, I send praise and thanks.

charles