Fw: Amazon.com

This is a very hard discussion to have since the local bookseller is such a
great part of the community, in those few remaining places where they
continue to exist.  Our last one closed down after trying several
reincarnations and sizings.  There is an advantage for me to seeing and
touching some books prior to purchase so having a local store is nice.  (I
know I can do this at a bookstore andthen go order from one of the many
online booksellers.)

One finaancial factor to think about with online though.  I just had to
return a couple of books to amazon.com.  I paid the postage to me  and the
return postage.  This ate quite abit into any savings I might have realized
if I kept the books.

I buy both ways, in bookstores and online.  Barnes and Noble, et al, have
put many a small bookstore out of business.  Online bookstores are now
eating heartily into the superstore model. It will sift out.  There will
hopefully be room for all in the future.  I wonder if online bookstores
have contributed to the overall quantity of books purchased and read, thus
expanding the market for everyone in some ways.

Lee Cooper, a book buyer from many sources