Re: Amazon.com

I've been following this with interest because I live in a very rural place
that's at least 2 hours from the nearest shopping mall.
        This area is blessed with a small mom-and-pop book store whose major stock
is second-hand paperbacks with a few new hardbacks mixed in.  However, they
will order any book you want, and if you have your order in by 10 on
Monday, they'll generally have the book for you by noon on Wednesday.  And
95% of the stuff they order they sell at a 20% discount.  Since there are
no shipping fees, they are very competitive with people like Amazon.  They
have a thriving business that is well supported locally (as it should be).
        My point is that small businesses can compete successfully with large ones
if they offer good service and prices.