Embossing

First, having the availabilty of so much knowledge on book art is
appreciated. No telling what kind of extra blunders I might have made
without this list.

I am trying my hand at embossing for a cover. No stamps, just free hand
designs. What do you suggest for tools? Plus I am not sure of constant and
equal pressure. What might I add to the finishing process to keep the
tooling from depressing? Thanks in advance.
Any reference material suggestions, would be appreciated.
Gill Johnston
venues@mindspring.com                           Books and Life, One Page at a Time