Re: Copier Transfers

Janet L. Maher wrote:

> I enjoyed the previous thread about transfers and am wondering if anyone
> has info about doing copier transfers on wet (or dry) clay slabs?

=======================================
There is a book, _Ceramics and Print_, by Paul Scott that deals with many aspects
of getting images onto clay, including toner transfers.

I've used my laser printer to transfer images onto both leather-hard slabs and
bisque-fired tiles with very good success. I've used both a mild solvent like Oil
of Wintergreen and also just a lot of burnishing (on wet, leather-hard clay). The
images turn a reddish-brown. I've used both HP Laserjet and Apple Laserwriter
prints with equal success. I've told others about this technique and they haven't
had the same results, so it's not a fool-proof method.

the book details follow:
     AUTHOR: Scott, Paul.
           TITLE: Ceramics and print
         PLACE: Philadelphia :
PUBLISHER: University of Pennsylvania Press,
            YEAR: 1995
    PUB TYPE: Book
      FORMAT: 128 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
         SERIES: Ceramics handbooks
            ISBN: 0812215753 (pbk.)
    SUBJECT: Pottery craft.
                  Prints -- Technique.

good luck

btw, haven't you moved? I had a bookmark for your web page that was at UNM.

Darryl Baird