Re: book arts journals

I think this is a great discussion for this list. I find that there is just
about no one more controversial among book artists (and for that matter,
visual poets, mail artists, and some other groups) right now than Johanna
Drucker. I too like to read her, although I have some significant
differences with her.

But I don't know that I would characterize those who write JAB
(particularly Johanna Drucker and Brad Freeman, who created the journal and
have done most of the writing) as "academics" and not as "artists who are
completely involved in their work." Johanna, yes, has a Ph.D. and teaches
art history. But she also has some 20 years as a printer/bookmaker, and has
done some pretty interesting work. I know other artists who love that work
and other artists who dismiss it entirely, but the point is -- she did it
and does it, so I think she must be considered an academic AND an artist.
And Brad Freeman, who learned to print in Florida then went through the
book arts program at Univ. of the Arts in Philadelphia, is (in my opinion)
a book artist whose area is primarily offset-printed artist's books. He has
taught a lot of bookmaking classes and offset printing classes, but I don't
think he teaches 'art history' as such, as Johanna does. So they're both
artists.

charles