Wood cut and Engravings

I hope these are not repeat questions... I checked the archive but couldn't
find it, but if I missed the thread I apologize.

I am looking for information on early commercial line cut engravings. ( line
cuts of large factories and products in catalogs) Were these done in wood or
etched in metal? Any good books on the subject? I recall hearing that there
was a machine that did this, can you still find this machine? Also there is a
certain filter for Photoshop that simulates the technique. Any information
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Keith Berger