Re: Wood cut and Engravings

At 07:30 PM 1/18/98 EST, you wrote:
>Keith,
>
>I don't know the method by which these were printed (though I think there
used
>to be letterpresses specifically designed for the purpose), but I have a
>number of small litho stones acquired from a commercial printer in St. Louis
>that have the precision line work from old newspaper, catalog and magazine
>advertisements on them.  It took a lot of work to get them off the stones so
>that I could use the stones for conventional lithography, so you know they
>were on there for the duration! Don't know if this helps, but it seems
that it
>does suggest other possibilities for your "line engravings."
>
>Barbara H.

If the images on your stones were right reading (letter forms readable) and
have flat surfaces, then they were coventional commerial litho stones, used
for regular work to be printed on a flatbed offset press or part of a stone
"library" where images were design and or stored on small stones and later
transferred to bigger stones only when needed. This freed up bigger stones
for printing and not just an "art park"

If those stones had images engraved below the surface of the stone and not
just on the planographic surface, then they would be lithographic
engravings.  This process was usually reserved for bank notes, letter head,
checks and stock certificates.  They were easier and cheaper to produce
than flat copper or steel engraving and printed cleaner and crisper than
letterpress formes like electros.  Often many unrelated images were
engraved or "parked" on a single stone.  I have one that has twenty or so
typographic designs.  Many were transfered from such stones to fresh
stones, each time they were run.  The master stone could store many designs
when not in use.

Some companies, like law firms still used "hand engraved" stationary that
is lightly photoetched into a half inch thick mild steel block.  The block
is then hand tooled with deeper hand engraved lines to give it the raised
ink look and finish.  Most of the letter is formed with the acid but the
additional hand tooling gives it "the look".  The blocks are printed on a
special press that machine inks and then wipes the intaglio design with a
contiuious roll of paper. A Very odd looking device.  The next time you get
sued, check out the return address.  Small firms don't bother with such
expensive touches!

regards,