Re: Stinky Book

Jackie:  the following information is from the NEDCC Web site,
<http://www.nedcc.org>:

How can I remove the musty smell from old books?=20

There is no guaranteed way to remove the musty smell from old books, but
there is a strategy that may be successful. This musty smell is most often
noted in books that have been moldy or mildewed in the past.=20

The first step is to create an enclosed chamber. This is most easily done
by using two garbage cans, one large (with a lid) and one small. The object
to be "deodorized" should be placed in the smaller can, which is then
placed inside the larger can. Some type of odor-absorbing material should
then be placed in the bottom of the larger can. Odor-absorbing materials to
try include baking soda, charcoal briquettes (without lighter fluid), or
kitty litter. The lid should then be placed on the larger can, and the
chamber should be left for some time. You will need to monitor periodically
to see how long the materials need to be left inside the chamber.=20

A second option is the use of paper containing Zeolite molecular traps.
Known as MicroChamber=AE products, these papers have proven very effective a=
removing odors. We suggest placing a sheet of the fine, 100% cotton
interleaving tissue between the front board and the endpaper, every 50
pages throughout the volume, and again between the back board and endpaper.
Close the book and set it aside until the odor is reduced. For product
information and supplies contact Conservation Resources at 1-800-634-6932.=
=20

Hope this helps.  Contact us directly if you would like to discuss you
situation in more detal.  Karen

At 04:15 PM 1/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Does anybody have a suggestion for removing a damp musty smell from a book?
>(It smells like it's been stored in a basement) I know that some smells=
 will
>go away after time by being kept somewhere that's fairly well ventilated
>(like cigarette smoke) but the person that owns this book would like to use
>it and can't stand the smell.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>TIA,
>
>Jackie