gilding edges of bk pages?

      I'm reading "Handmade Books & Cards" by Jean Kropper. It says
that goffered or gauffered edges are very involved & usually left to
professionals (like I've always been told) but that you can PAINT the
fore edges using watercolor or gouache paint w/ a fine brush, & that
the results can add "a wonderful finishing touch that can decidedly
seperate a handmade book from the commercially made crowd."
      Is anyone here familiar w/ this technique?
      If so what is gouche paint? Is it available in metallic gold?
      & do the results really look professional?
      Thankyou so much for any help you can provide.
                   Love,
                      Kerrie