Re: gilding edges of bk pages?

At 01:32 PM 1/24/1998 EST, you wrote:

"Edge painting" on a book is quite another thing.  The pages are fanned,
clamped and with a relatively dry brush, a "picture" or "scene" is painted
on the fore edges of the pages.  When dry and the pages are unclamped and
fall back into normal position, the painting becomes invisible until the
edges are "fanned" again.  The edges can even be gilded after being painted
as well.  The painting will be invisible on the gilded edges until fanned.

>Referencing your question about gilding edges of bk pages:  actually the
>process is not that difficult, just have to be careful.  Use gold leaf (which
>flies away easily and pva, I think).  It seems to me to be too much trouble,
>but then I'm an artist bookbinder, not conservationist/traditionalist type.
>In terms of gauche--it is similar to watercolr except that you can use it
over
>watercolor--put it on a calligraphy pen and write over watercolor.  Also, you
>can find shell gold paint and paint it on the edges of a book, too.  It is
>easier to use than trying to glue gold leaf to the edges of a book.
>
>Pam Leutz, VP of the Dallas Lone Star Chapter of the National Bookworkers
>Guild gave an excellent demo of the process recently.  Perhaps someone who
was
>there and is on this list might be able to describe the process more
>thoroughly than I.  Hope this helps.  jansapp@aol.com

David Adams in Maryland