Re: Atonement

> Does the phrase mind your p's and q's have anything to do with the
> distribution of type?

No, it's supposedly about tavern etiquette. Here's a bit I archived:

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts.  So in old England,
when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to mind
their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase
"mind your P's and Q's"

of course, they didn't hadn't encountered the confusion of setting p's
and q's in letterpress type! it's tricky sober.

Darryl