Re: Atonement

  Curious. I have heard that minding one's p's and q's came from a
French phase from court etiquette.  In English , to mind one's feet and
ques referred to the need to retreat bowing, without stumbing or loosing
one's wig.  I suppose any number of stories will emerge.  As for type
sorting, I recall e's and c's being my most common source of confusion.
 As for derogatory names, how about smudgers for printers, and, of
course, for bookbinders, hackers.
 Dorothy A.