p's and q's revisited

I thought the  p's and q's thing came from typesetting...that's what a
friend whose father was a type designer told me. It had something to do
with the letters "p" and "q" being the same width or something in
letterpress and therefore easy to mistake one for the other and therefore
make some questionable spelling errors...

now I am going to have to check with him.