Re: Ps & Qs and folk etymology

Terry--

At 01:01 AM 1/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>port-outward, starboard-home, the desirable sides of a ship sailing or
>steaming between England and India in hot weather--charming but undocumented.

I love these interesting origins.  I never heard this linked to POSH but it
makes some sense.  I always heard it as the correct location of the ship in
relation to the red channel buoy. I have also hear the starboard side
stated as "red on the right returning."

Probably most of these had several plausible etiologies.  In east Texas
I've heard---as a response to a greeting---"jus' lettin' the rough side
drag." Given your location and the probability that this is a southern
phrase I wonder if you have heard it or have any idea what it means?

Regards from the Texas Hill Country,

Sam Lanham
Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)

I don't give a whit for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would
give my life for the simplicity the other side of complexity.

                                        --O. W. Holmes.