Re: Sailcloth in bookbindings

At 01:33 PM 1/29/98 +0500, you wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone out there has ever used, or heard of anyone using
>sailcloth to case-bind a book? What are some of the considerations that
>need to be taken into account?
>
>Thanks for the help...
>
>Timothy Geiger
>University of Toledo

I've used various "non bookcloth" cloths in binding and find it best to
pre-mount the cloth to some relatively impervious paper prior to the
binding. Apply the adhesive to the paper and let it tackify prior to
adhering the cloth so none of the liquid adhesive soaks through the cloth.
Light pressure will bond the cloth to the support which in turn can be glued
to the boards of the book.

I recently re-bound a photographic history of the Great War (WWI) in army
canvas with natural-color calf spine. I inset a skiver label in the fornt
cover which was blind stamped with the title. The project turned out in a
manner that exceeded my expectations.

John G. Henry - Cedar Creek Press