[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Early Paper Books?
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: Early Paper Books?
- From: patriot@MIP.NET
- Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 23:46:58 -0200
- In-Reply-To: <199801300441.XAA27935@topcat.mip.net>
- Message-Id: <199801300447.UAA21768@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: The list for all the book arts!" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
At 10:32 PM 1/29/1998 -0600, you wrote:
I think you'll find that the idea that the codex was certainly a
"christian" adoption, to distinguish it's literature from others in scroll
form, paper came later. The bit about "cheap materials" may also be true,
but that probably accounts for little of the very early manuscripts
remaining, but they wouldn't have been paper unless papyrus.
David Adams in Maryland