Re: Early Paper Books?

Hello, Folks--

To add to the bibliography in this interesting thread let me mention Li
Shu-hwa, THE SPREAD OF THE ART OF PAPER-MAKING AND THE DISCOVERIES OF OLD
PAPER, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China (National Historical Museum), no
date that I can read, but I would guess ca1960s or 1970s. Text in English
(34 pp.) and Chinese, illus. Wraps. One one of the Chinese pages is the
notation in English "Chi Sheng Book Co. 580E Nathan Road  Kowloon,
Hongkong." This is a very scholarly paper with much of the same information
given by Mandl but in more detail particularly as it relates to the
discoveries in China. Good section on the "Caves of the Thousand Buddhas."
With regard to the latter, I read somewhere that some Hebrew material was
discovered there and that some fragments with Chinese characters have
turned up in the Dead Sea Scrolls.  I get the impression there was a good
bit more interchange between early cultures than we generally allow.

Sam Lanham
Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)