Re: Ps & Qs and folk etymology

I always understood POSH to have to do with the more scenic side on the
route (either route) from England to India and back. We are talking
about luxury liners, so shelter is not really of great concern.
However, part of a cruise's interest is the coastlines you're sailing
past.  Just look at any cruise ad or brochure.  The SOPH passengers
would spend most of the trip with nothing but open sea out the
portholes.  POSH passengers could see the coastlines of western Europe,
Italy, Greece, the Levant (or at least Gaza), Arabia (or all of Africa
by the other route) and India.