safe etching workshop

Dear members,
I am posting again for those who may not have seen the first one. Please
excuse the redundency.

Anyone interested, please reply off-list.
thanks

Feb. 21, 22, 23 at Governors State University Printshop.
Safe Etching with Keith Howard

Keith Howard, Head of the Canadian School for Non-toxic Printmaking is
the originator of 'Non-toxic Intaglio and author of "Safe Photo etching
for Photographers and Artists".  Howard's safe etching innovations have
been acclaimed by leading professional printmakers and art educators
worldwide as the most technically superior and important advancements in
etching this century.  This workshop is the ideal opportunity to catch
up on Howard's lastest printmaking innovations.  His new book, should be
in print in time for the workshop here.

Design of the workshop:
Keith will open the workshop with a two hour presentation on the state
of non-toxic printmaking today which is open to the public.  After a
short recess the hands-on workshop for participants will begin with
demonstrations, discussion, and examples of work done with the Howard
techniques. You will work along as the demostrations progress.  Each
participant may direct what they do in their hands-on application of
techniques including photo etching and hand etchng techniques. The shop
will be reserved for you during the evening hours until 11:00 p. m.
Techniques include:

        Acrylic hard ground
        Waterbased ink ground
        Air brushed screen filler aquatint
Applying an aquatint screen
        The nature of the vertical ferric chloride etch
        Relief ink ground
        Screen filler lift ground
        Crayon blockout and etch
        Destruction ground with waterbased ink
        Reverse mezzotint technique
        Water resist and etch
        Etched Howard-type photo intaglio
        Howard halftone internegative method
        How to make the perfect halftone
        Howard-type non-etch photo method
        Layered Howard-type photo method
        Dove-Howard type
Wash drawing photo method…….  plus more

Keith will discuss how to set up a non-toxic shop, where to get supplies
and how to save money doing it.
.
The shop is equiped with three intaglio presses, a darkroom for the
photo work, re-exposure unit for exposing the aquatint. All materials
will be provided, including paper. There will be a nominal cost for the
copper plates only.  These will run around $3.00 for an 8" x 10" plate.
Larger plates will also be available.

All in all, expect to work all day, learn a lot, make some cool prints
and really get excited about etching without the hazards that have
tradionally been associated with the medium.

Register Here:  Mail to:  Safe Etching Workshop
                                 c/o Mary Bookwalter
                                 Art Dept., Governors State University
                                 1  University Parkway
         University Park, IL 60446

Keith Howard Safe Etching Workshop    Feb. 21, 22, 23 (Sat., Sun., Mon.)
Governors State University   University Park, IL  60446
Workshop Fee:  $275.00,

Name: _________________________________________________________
Address:  ______________________________________________________
Phone:  home__________________ work ___________________________
e-mail:  ________________________________________________________
        DEPOSIT: $100.00  due with registration, checks only please

made payable to GSU Foundation-Art
Your will receive confirmation upon receipt of deposit.

Governors State University is located about 10 minutes south of Lincoln
Highway (US Rt. 30 ), just east of Governors Highway and south of
Stuenkel Rd.
>From the North: take I-57 South to the Sauk Trail Exit. Go east to
Cicero Ave. Turn South (right) to Stuenkel Rd. Turn East (left). Cross
Governors Hyway., cross railroad tracks,  go approximately ¼ mile and
turn Right into entrance of University.  Park in Lot. D, enter at
E-Wing, Print Studio is directly inside doors to right.  Room E-1527.

>From the South: Travel North on I-57, take the Monee-Manhattan Exit and
turn east (right). Go to Governors Highway. Turn North to Stuenkel Rd.,
turn East (right) and follow directions above
>From the West: approach on Lincoln Highway or  Sauk Trail to Cicero.
>From the East: approach on Old Monee Rd. or Exchange Ave. and enter thru
East entrance, park in Lot. D.

The university does not have on-campus housing. Holiday Inn and Hampton
Inn hotels are located at the intersection of I-57 and Lincoln Highway.
Keith will be staying at the Holiday Inn.  Mention GSU Workshopfor
special rate of $75, (1-4 persons) at Holiday Inn  (708-747-3500) and
$69 for two people at Hampton Inn, (708-481-3900.)