Re: Handmade Ink

Dear Jenni,

There are medieval recipes for making ink which use the galls off of oak
leaves and copper sulfate(?).  Research in a calligrapher's guild library or
Library of Congress should uncover this recipe.  I am thinking that I learned
this recipe at a workshop at the Smithsonian in DC--perhaps contacting people
in the Calligraphers Guild in Washington, DC, might be an excellent place to
start.

The only problem with the ink is that--over the centuries--it ate through
vellum pages! However, I am certain that there are less caustic/toxic ways to
make ink--perhaps using tea leaves or coffee??

Enjoy the process.  jansapp@aol.com