appearance of perfect bindings

 If you look in the list's archives, Linda, I think you can find an
earlier discussion of this thread.  I vaguely recall it from last summer
or earlier.  Anyway, "caoutchouc" bindings done with single sheets and
vulcanized rubber date to around 1839.  Is it possible that the book
your client has was rebound as a perfect binding with an "antique" look
more recently?  I had to cope with a whole set of very nice 18th century
books in tooled leather cases that had been butchered for rebinding in
the early 1900's by being trimmed to single sheets and machine
side-stitched in big wads for sunken cord sewing.  It was commonly done
in the period to the detriment of lots of books in our collection.
 Dorothy Africa