transfer to metal

I'm trying to get a clean transfer to metal - copper, brass, silver - so
that I can etch the image directly. I know I can use a Goco screen, but
would like to get the continuous tone of a direct transfer without the
screen. I've tried laser, xerox and transfer paper images using heat,
benzene, and/or acetone but with little success.  I haven't discovered a
successful process that works. The transfer paper leaves all its coating,
and the etch covers all the material. Yes, I could cut out the transfer
image, but often the images are too intricate to accomplish that, and I'd
like a less labor-intensive method.

Having recalled the recent transfer discussions, this seems to be a
correllary that wasn't covered. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nicholas

Nicholas G. Yeager 51 Warren St.#2 NY, NY 10007 212.346.9609
artifex@pipeline.com