From:   Bob Muens[SMTP:Bob@FLAKEYSOL.COM]
Sent:   Monday, February 16, 1998 12:24 PM
To:     BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject:        Cuban Bookbinders

I am planning a trip to Cuba in May.  As part of my trip there I would
like to visit some of that country's bookbinders.  Unfortunately, I
don't know of any so I am wondering if anyone on this list could help me
contact some.

I do remember a couple of years ago seeing an article, in the US press,
about the difficulties that Cuban bookbinders had  finding materials as
basic as quality paper, sewing thread, book cloths and adhesives.  Since
I am going by boat I will be able to carry some supplies if I can find
my way through the inevitable red tape.  Both the US and Cuban
authorities are capable of throwing up hurdles to my bringing in raw
materials, but I will try my hardest.

Any information in this direction would be appreciated.

Bob Muens
Bookbinding and Conservation
513 Fleming St., Suite 5
Key West, Florida  33040