Re: Arranging poems on pages???

There's not a single 'right' way to do this. Rather, a lot depends on the
particular poem. Most design books, alas, are NOT written with poetry in
mind. One would not arrange the poetry of Charles Olson in the same way one
might arrange the poetry of Emily Dickinson. Since you wrote these poems,
you may be the best person to make the appropriate decisions, such as
what type size
how much leading between lines
what font
what relation of main text font to title font and size
how much space on the page or plaque around the poem or poems

then there are decisions which come more in the writing of the poem, like
is everything flush left
what kind of internal spacing may be required

and more

I'd suggest that you try a poem several ways, print it out on paper, and
see what you like best, keep working with it until you get something which
seems to express that particular poem better than any other design.

You can get a designer to do it for you, too -- I'm one of many people who
do such things, but that means paying someone.

good luck,

charles

At 04:59 PM 2/19/98 EST, you wrote:
>I've written some poetry and would like to write them in
>books and on plaques to give as gifts.  But I don't have a
>clue how to arrange them attractively on the page.  I know
>that in books of poetry and commercial plaques, they're
>arranged in various ways, but I can't figure out how to
>arrange them.  Can anyone please either give me any hints, or
>suggest a book which might explain this sort of thing?
>
>Thank you VERY much for any help you can provide.

>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

charles alexander   ::   poet and book artist   ::   chax@theriver.com
chax press   ::   alexander writing/design/publishing
books by artists' hands   ::   web sites built with care and vision
http://personal.riverusers.com/~chax/   ::   http://alexwritdespub.com