Re: Phototransfer

Dear Book Friends,
I have used wintergreen oil and acetone to create photo transfers with xe=
roxes
(color or black and white) fairly successfully. =

Acetone evaporates pretty quickly. Wintergreen oil will make your studio =
smell
like a wrigley's factory for a considerable amount of time =

(at least several weeks) I have done them with a breyer or roller
but have had the best results when using a press (like an etching press-
a lot of pressure is advisable for a better quality transfer)

Not long ago on this list there was some discussion of using a =

citrus based solvents, such as citrasolve, which interested me
considerably, but i haven't tried it. Lighter fluid will also work,
but I personally wouldn't advise it, for obvious reasons...

I have also done transfers using acrylic paint. Put a thick coat =

on the front of the xerox with white acylic paint or medium. =

I then put it face down onto fabric. I let it dry overnight, =

but not longer than 24 hours. With a paper towel or sponge =

wet the paper and use your fingers to carefully peel off the =

paper, layer by layer until you have removed all the paper =

leaving only the xerox image (which is basically plastic, =

I think) which has bonded with the plastic of the acrylic. =

The closer you get to the image the more fragile it is. You can create =

a free standing image, not with a fabric base. To do this =

build up several layers of acrylic on the front of =

the xerox, let it dry and then soak it in  tray of water and
remove the paper very gently to get a acrylic transfer "decal".

You can also get color xerox iron-ons (for t-shirts) and iron =

them on to many different surfaces. Xerox is a transluscent =

material so you can only do iron-ons  onto light colored =

surfaces. Any patterned surfaces you use, will show through
your image, which actually can be very effective in the
right circumstance.

These techniques are for photos that have been first xeroxed. =

Also any type in the image must be reversed so that it will read =

correctly in the end.

To photo transfer from negatives you can get involved =

with phototechniques, such as cyanatype, gum bichromate or =

liquid light. But that is a whole other direction...

I hope this is clear and/or useful.

Regards,

Mimi Schaer=