Etching copper type

Has anyone any experience of etching copper for making type for hot foil
printers?

In the past I have used rubdown transfers on copper-clad board to produce
printed circuit boards, etching with ferric chloride. I am wondering if
this process used on a thicker copper plate or block would produce a deep
enough cut with out causing an undercut too far under the raised letters.

Any Ideas gratefully received before I start investing in R&D.

Mark Rimmell
temple@globalnet.co.uk
---