Re: Etching hot plates

When I first started teaching printmaking I bought two electric,two burner
hotplates from Sears and two pieces of 1/4 " sheetiron to fit over each.
The Iron rested on a 2x4+ frame with  the area near the controls open.  The
height can be adjusted by shimming under the frame.  This gave an area of
about 18" x 72" for heating plates.  In my home studio, I bought a garage
sale waffle Iron, opened it up all the way and turned the "irons" from
waffle to griddle. Some folks use a food warmer tray or electric griddle if
you can find it.  (try using Graphic Chemical & Ink co's Easywipe for
printing plates cold.)

Announcing a symposium for Printmakers, Book Artists, Writers, Historians,
Letterpress and Small Press Printers to be held at Stephen F. Austin State
Univ., Nov 4-7, 1998.   An accompanying exhibition will last from Nov. 4
through Dec. 12, 1998.More information, a call for papers and/or works for
the exhibition, topics etc. are at:
http:titan.sfasu.edu/~f_lewisda/bookarts.html
or send an email request to f_jonescd@titan.sfasu.edu for a prospectus.