Re: Die-cuts or?

David Kern wrote:

> Hello all,
> I would like to make a small run of mini albums and I'm in need of some
> advice. I'd like to cut some 1" diameter holes--circles and, if possible,
> ovals into a thin binders board covered by a layer of paper. I plan on
> gluing the paper to the board and then cutting--the thin edge of the
> board showing is fine by me. There must be some kind of tool for these
> small holes? I know there are mat cutters for larger ones. Can they do
> holes this small? Does anything do elliptical shapes? Or am I relegated
> to getting these die cut (expensive, I'm sure)? Thanks!
>
> David Kern

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
David,
For small round holes, you might want to try cork borers. These are
available from Carolina Biological Supply in Burlington, NC
(1-800-334-5551) or Ward's Natural Science Establishment in Rochester
NY, (1-800-635-2600) The borers are a set of graduated brass tubes that
nest together and  have a tee handle on one end and a sharpened edge on
the oppposite end. You must buy the sharpener for it because they
require frequent sharpening. Sharpening is a low skill task. Expect to
pay about $17-19 for a set of six in graduated sizes; $40 for a set of
12 and $50 for a set of 15. The sharpener is about $35.
Bob Nelson