Re: quotation marks in books?

At 21:25 27/02/98 EST, Elizabeth McClenthen wrote:
>I want to make books of poetry using regular bookbinding
>techniques.  Can anyone please help me with the quotation
>marks when a quote is continued in the next sentence or
>paragraph?
>
>eg, if the same person is speaking on each line,
>
>    Would I put "cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc,"
>                "dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd,"
>                "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."
>
>                "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff,"
>                "gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg."
>
>       or maybe "cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc,
>                "dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd,
>                "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."
>
>                "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff,
>                "gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg."
>
>       or maybe "cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc,
>                "dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd,
>                "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
>
>                "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff,
>                "gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg."

Actually, the answer is (d) -- none of the above. Technically (i.e.
grammatically or punctuationally) speaking, you'd do it like this...

                "cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc,
                 dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd,
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

                "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff,
                 gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg."

...but the thing is, it is *poetry*, after all, and assuming that it's your
own, well, you can do whatever you want, and break any rules you'd like to. :)

>I can't thank you enough for any help you can give me.

Actually, once is enough. ;)

And you're welcome.

Ron :)

                       P  S  Y  M  O  N  ?  ?  ?  ?