Re: quotation marks in books?

>Actually, the answer is (d) -- none of the above. Technically (i.e.
>grammatically or punctuationally) speaking, you'd do it like this...
>
>                "cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc,
>                 dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd,
>                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
>
>                "ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff,
>                 gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg."

Yes, this is correct. It's an odd rule, that if there is a paragraph break,
you do NOT close the quote at the end of the first paragraph, but you do
open the quote again at the beginning of the paragraph following the break,
and only close the quote at the end of the entire quotation. And this is
still a current rule, not relegated to 'old' books before grammarians
invented the wheel.

But I'd also agree that in a poem there might be various ways of handling
this, particularly if it's your own poem. You might even italicize the
entire quotation and forget quotation marks. Or you might left and right
indent a quoted passage and dispense with quotation marks.

charles