Re: quotation marks in books?

Ron Koster wrote:

> At 21:54 27/02/98 -0800, Elizabeth McClenthen wrote:
> >I deeply appreciate your excellent help!  If I could bother you with
> one
> >more question, how do I put it when starting a new paragraph (or line
>
> >with a blank line in between)?  Does the same rule apply?

I think it goes the way he did it in the other message.  I think with
each new paragraph you begin quotes again.

> >For some reason, I remember something about using a quote on the left
>
> >side of each line but nothing on the right until the very end of the
> >quote - but don't remember the exact rule and have no idea where to
> look.

I have a copy of the _MLA_ Handbook for Writers of Research Papers.
It's pretty comprehensive about this kind of stuff.

It also depends on the way you're quoting something.  If it's in the
body of a text, and it's more than two lines, you set it apart like
this:

                Here's the quote, broken out of the paragraph by itself
to indicate that it is an
                extensive quote that takes up more than one line..

The library or a bookstore would have such reference books.

BTW, in my last message, I was rereading it and when I wrote "is that
clear" I though it came across as sounding snotty or something.  What I
meant was, am I explaining it clearly or am I being confusing?  Hope it
didn't come across the wrong way.

Good Luck

Jennifer