Re: Definition of the Artists Book (YES, again)

Charles wrote:

>No, this won't work either. There are plenty of 'artists' books' where it
>is precisely the textual which is of primary interest. Typographical
>artists' books, and, anyway, is typography textual or visual -- isn't it both?

Here we go further into Pat's can of worms.

For me typography is inherently visual. The whole point is to make the
words visable/readable,attractive/whatever. How many printed versions of
Poe's "The Raven" exist? The essential difference between them is visual:
The typeface chosen, the size of type, the paper, the illustrations (if
any), etc. I'm sorry Charles, but while a Typographer can make an artists
book, it's primary interest is still visual.

Respectfully,
Richard.

Richard Miller <rmiller@peterboro.net>

The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild website:
<http://kawartha.net/~rmiller/cbbag/CBBAGhome.html>