Re: Definition of the Artists Book (YES, again)

Ksenia KOpystynska (or J Laflamme) wrote:

>Book as an art ,and an artist's book are two completelly different
>things. ...

Not necessarily. Also,

>Someone that makes a book that is perceived as art must be an artist as
>well as an excellent bookbinder. ...

Again, not necessarily.

 >... Book as an art must combine two equaly
>important elements: an intellectual and artistc message when comes to
>the design of a cover,and sound structure. In other words the expression
>and form must melt together.

Someone, I think, is being a little hidebound (forgive the pun) here. The
artistic/intellectual message must permeate more than the cover (forgive
me, but the poster sounds like a traditional binder), and sound structure
has nothing to do with it.

>In artist's book, the symbol or an image of a book serves only as an
>excuse for expressing some other idea. In an artist's book the
>EXPRESSION is a primary concern. ...

Here, I agree, although I would use another word than excuse (such as: a
means for expressing...)

>... In book that is an art both EXPRESSION
>,and STRUCTURE are equaly important.

Again, nonsense, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Regards,
Richard.

Richard Miller <rmiller@peterboro.net>

The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild website:
<http://kawartha.net/~rmiller/cbbag/CBBAGhome.html>