[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Artists book
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: Artists book
- From: Ray Bliss Rich <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 09:10:03 -0500
- Message-Id: <199803061410.GAA15866@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Organization: Meditations on Paper
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: The list for all the book arts!" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Peter Verheyen wrote:
> The problems I have are that all too often I have seen poor workmanship excused
> the phrase, "it's art"
Here.. here... I'm tired of the idea that if someone is making some sort of
statement, that makes their work worthy of the label art... if someone wants to
hang a urinal someplace other than the lavatory to make a statement, I don't agree
that it automatically becomes a work of art...
> I think the craft and art need to continue to evolve, as they have done
> from the beginning. Let's just not excuse a sloppyness (anywhere) in the
> name of art.
Nor laziness... --
Ray Bliss Rich