Re: Artists book

What I find is often the case with "book-artists" is their disdain for
craftsmanship and a well-engineered book. It's as if well-made books are
disqualified from being considered as an "artist's book" because the person
making said object is merely a craftsperson and incapable of art.

This is a pretty sweeping and inaccurate statement.  I don't think i've EVER
run across a situation where someone is saying, "oh, that's too well- made to
be art!"
Keeping an open mind does NOT automatically cancel out an appreciation for
craft or even (gulp) beauty.  There ain't nothing wrong with poetry that
rhymes.

BTW, I personally get around some of this mess (for those who REALLY NEED to
know exactly what it is they're seeing before forming their own opinion) by
calling much of my work Book Objects.  And, as stretchy as they may get in
their "book-ness", they are well- crafted, often employing very traditional
bench technigues..

Melissa Jay Craig, Chicago