Re: Bks abt aligning text

I haven't been reading book arts posts for a few weeks now, so forgive me if I
don't quite understand what you mean by "how to align text in books." The
Bringhurst book is excellent -- I constantly refer to it for typographic
questions -- make sure you get the second edition if you work w/ digital type.
He does include a section on how to design a page -- layout text, margins,
etc. Robin Williams' book is good for developing an overall visual acumen &
analyzing the visual effectiveness of a page (card, ad, etc). Hers is more
oriented towards commercial graphic design. If your interest is book design,
then take a look at Adrian Wilson's _The Design of Books_ , Jan Tschichold's
_The Form of Books_, & if you're working w/ poetry, try to find a copy (most
likely in a library's special collections) of Clifford's Burke's _Printing
Poetry_ where he has a good discussuion of design issues.

hope this helps,

Charles Smith

<< The John Neal catalog has three books that seem to be about
 how to align text in books:
    _Elements of Typographic Style_ by Robert Bringhurst
    _Layout and Design for Calligraphers_ by Alan Furber
    _The Non-Designer's Design Book: Design and Typographic Priciples
       for the Visual Novice_ by Robin Williams

 Is anyone familiar with any of these books?  If so, could you please
 tell me which you would recommend or not recommend? >>