Re: urinal and duchamp

Jennifer, You have very cleverly pasted the smile of the Mona Lisa upon
Duchamp's face in your points 3-5. M.D. would be pleased, I think, but he also
might point out that he rather believed the urinal deserved to be taken
seriously as art, regardless of the willingness of other viewers to see it his
way. He really intended to infuriate (there's another phrase for this) the
materialistic minded in a rather savage way, and did inspire other younger
artists, including William Wegman whose best artist's book (imho) was floating
a sequence of big styrofoam commas down the Wisconsin <?> River, when he was at
Madison.

Michael

--
Michael Joseph
   Rare Book and Jerseyana Catalog Librarian

                voice: 732-445-5904
                email: mjoseph@rci.rutgers.edu
                fax :  732-445-5888

URL:http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mjoseph