quick anecdote about electronic artists books

I thought I'd say something about "electronic artists books" since that
category has
all *three* points of contention.

Last year, an artist-writer and a philosopher made a CD-ROM and called it
an artists book. Apparently, it's so because then a museum published it and
a big University press released it.

Since I'm one of those two crooks (the artist-writer), the recent debate on
this list is pretty amusing. I mean, after the CD-ROM was done, I went out
and got a press and started laying down type.

There is no trajectory as to what must happen in the future of books, nor
are there absolute boundaries in art.

Personally, I feel that when I can put a small animation on a piece of
paper or play a sound at the turn of a page, there won't be a need for
CD-ROMs -- far cheaper to produce than die-cut jobs and offset printing,
btw. It's also good to consider that books are often made to *communicate
with other people.* I chose a CD-ROM over a more precious book form because
I wanted to reach a large number of people, affordably, *and* I wanted to
force people to use their computer for something else than looking at
sports stats, stock reports, psycho gunmen games and porn.

If I were a traditional book maker, I wouldn't lose any sleep about
artists' books or electronic books as these will continue to take place on
the margins of your beautiful and meaningful craft.

Worry about movies and Barnes & Nobles.

Thanks,
Jose