[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Making money as a vanity press?
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: Making money as a vanity press?
- From: Jennifer <jwoods@DELTA.NET>
- Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 10:17:45 -0800
- Message-Id: <199803081813.KAA16420@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: The list for all the book arts!" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Todd Wallace wrote:
> How likely is it that I could make some money as a vanity press,
> people's manuscripts in electronic format, going to a layout program,
> to the
> printed page, to a hand-bound book? I'm not looking to make a living
> this, just having fun and making some spending money.
> Thanks for any help, pointers, or laments of sad experience.
> Todd Wallace
Well, I'm doing that right now, and not making any money. But that's
because I'm doing it as a publisher. If you want to make money with it,
have the writers pay you for the layout, design, production aspect.
Once you do it because you want to publish a promising author you'll
have stacks of unsold books sitting around your office.