Re: Definition of the Artists B

This definition of a artist's book is far off the mark for many artist's
book which I have seen.  There may or may not be an assemblage of folios,
or the book may not be bound in the traditional sense.  Artist's books are
not always meant to be observed in a sequential fashion either.  One
perfect example of an artist's book which contradicts the definition you
give in every sense is the work entitled "Bound Book" and please forgive
me I do not know the artist.  This artist's book is quite literally what
it sounds to be, and is also quite clever.  It is a large book, (the size
of a very large dictionary) anyway the book itself is "bound" by a thick
rope that has been wrapped and tied around the outside of the book, then
the whole thing was painted with black and yellow paint.  This book is not
viewable at all in sequential fashion, nor is there even any visible
or pictorial text.

I feel what people struggle with when defining what an artist's book is,
is the connotation of the term "book".  I have seen many artist's books
that aren't technically "books".  So then here we are again with the
question of what are artists books?

Peter maybe you should send students on their own quest to answer this
enigmatic question?  From a fellow art historian, I know one thing we are
all good at is agreeing to disagree.   The question of artist's books is
one that thoroughly perplexes me also, so i will refrain from trying to
define it myself. One thing I do know is that I enjoy artist's books
because they never cease to amaze me in their diversity.

Thanks,

Jen