Re: Definition of the Artists Book (YES, again)

I like the definition below but would suggest that one area can dominate
and the other support as it would result in a different emphasis. For
example a fine press book with a very simple binding would mean that the
bulk of the intended message was the printing itself and the binding was a
support but it would still be called an artist's book. As a teacher of the
bookbinding aspect of artist's books we concentrated on the form and my
opinion is that to get what Darryl has described we should have
collaboration between writer, printer, bookbinder and hopefully we could
get the harmony! Somewhat like Claire Van Vleit does.
Gillian Boal